Heart Healthy Diet | 8 Simple Foods For Cardiovascular Disease Prevention
Cardiovascular disease is one of the biggest reasons for increasing death rates in America for both men and women. Cardiovascular disease is linked to heart and blood vassals. When doctors use the term of cardiovascular disease in practice, it means disease is related to heart and blood vessels which is caused by atheroma. However, you don’t need to worry at all because now we have some super easy way which can help you in cardiovascular disease prevention. These tips are very effective in reducing the cardiovascular disease risk factor. According to experts’ advice, it has been found that in order to cardiovascular disease prevention, you diet and your lifestyle plays a very important role. Generally we see that people often choose the diets which are healthier for heart. A recent survey shows that average American eats the same amount of food during their meals as they were eating in the 1970s but the number of calories has increased by 580 calories per day. Anyway, here are some most important tips which can help you in cardiovascular disease prevention.
Cardiovascular disease risk factors
- Over-weight or obesity
- Unhealthy eating habit
- Excess consumption of alcohol
- Less physical activity
However, some risk factors are very strong and they cause more risk than other risk factors like smoking. Smoking is one of the most risky factors which are very dangerous and it may cause a greater risk of cardiovascular disease than over-weight or obese people do. An oxford study shows that if people have two or more risk factor, it means his/her health risk is much more increased and he or she can die 10 years earlier than men who have no cardiovascular disease risk factors.
Cardiovascular disease prevention tips
- Apples- As we all are very well familiar with the very popular phrase “an apple a day, keeps doctor away”. This phrase is very suitable for those who are at the risk of cardiovascular disease. According to Iowa Women’s Health Study which followed more than 34,000 women for around 20 years reveals that apple is the most important diet which can lower the risk of death from both coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease. Apple has several components that contribute their benefits in heart protection. Apple contains pectin, a kind of soluble fiber that helps to lower LDL (bad cholesterol). Apart from pectin, apple contains a list of antioxidants like quercetin, epicatechin, and epigallocatechin. These strong antioxidants compounds help to inhibit inflammation and reduce oxidative stress that can lead to atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular problems. Apples also provide a high amount of vitamin C. As all the apples provides the high amount of heart protective nutrients but eating red apples gives the high amount of antioxidants.
- Salmon- All fatty fish including salmon are being treated as the super star for heart healthy foods. These fishes contain the copious amounts of omega-3 fatty acids which help to lower arrhythmia (irregular heart beat) and atherosclerosis (plaque buildup in arteries). These foods help to decreases triglycerides. American Heart Association suggests if you want to keep cardiovascular disease away, you should eat these fatty fish twice a week.
- Popcorn- Generally people think that popcorn is used only in theaters but it can be the tasty and very healthy snack for your office too. Popcorn is made from whole grains and it provides polyphenols. This is antioxidants which are related to heart health. According to University of Scranton, popcorn contains three times more polyphones than kidney beans. Kidney beans are known as the highest vegetable polyphenol choice. So, you can use this heart healthy food in your snack, if you want cardiovascular disease prevention. In order to make this healthy diet truly heart healthy, you can avoid making it in microwave and use olive oil and fresh herbs or spices, like rosemary or cayenne pepper instead of butter and salt. Generally mostly popcorn bags contain the chemical called PFOAs (perfluorooctanoic acid) which has been linked to cardiovascular disease.
- Berries- All type of berries like blueberry, strawberry and other berries are well performed to make a heart healthy diet. A recent study suggests that women age between 25 to 42 should eat three servings of berries in a week to avoid cardiovascular disease. The researchers attributed the benefit to compounds known as anthocyanins, flavonoids. These compounds are antioxidants, which helps to decrease blood pressure and dilate blood vessels.
- Grapes- You must have that red wine is good for the heart. So, grapes are the best choice in order to avoid intoxicating food. Polypehenol is good for the heart and it is found in all colors of grapes. Apart from polypehenol, grapes contain a high level of heart-protective nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and flavonoids. When these all nutrients come together, they helps to promote healthy blood pressure, reduce LDL cholesterol, provide anti-inflammatory effects, and help your heart pump blood.
- Citrus fruits- Consuming high amount of citrus fruits may help you in getting the flavonoids that can be found in oranges, lemon and many more. Flavonoids can help you in lower the risk of ischemic stroke. These citrus fruits contain a high amount of Vitamin C, which is very effective in prevention of heart diseases. Beware while eating citrus fruits because it contains sugar and may interfere with the action of the cholesterol-lowering drugs known as statins.
- Nuts- Eating nuts provides you full of nutrients like protein, vitamins, minerals, and heart-healthy fats. Many people thinks that nuts contains a high level of fat but study suggest that eating walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts and pistachios at least two to four days or more per week may lower the risk of heart disease than people who doesn’t eat them often.
- Yogurt- Health experts say that our gum health is related to our heart health. 50% American adults are suffering from the gum health and they are twice as likely to suffer from heart problems. As yogurt has the ability to deliver pro-biotic or good bacteria that may protect against gum disease. Yogurt contains high amount of protein for staying power and it provides calcium for bone health.
However, if you want to take action for cardiovascular disease prevention, you should consider all the above tips in your daily life.